Thursday, September 19, 2013

To the moon and back

How do people stay married for ever and stay happy, how do they seem to stay in love ?  I have asked myself this question over and over throughout my life....I think more since my divorce, but the thought has always been there.  I was on the treadmill one morning the blinds were open, music was playing in the background , sun was out...beautiful day...as I walked on the treadmill I saw an older couple , like I'm talking really really old walk by, headed to the pool for an early morning swim.  The wife was in a bright pink suit, and he wore a pair of swim shorts that sported the American flag....My first thought how slow they moved , then my mind quickly went to the bright pink bathing suit on what was one of the tannest Grandmas I have ever seen...and oh how cute she was ! She walked up to the gate and  waited for her husband who moved a little slower than she did to arrive at the gate. She patiently waited as he struggled to reach the handle and to use his key to open the gate. As he Held the gate open for her she walked in...only for him to smack her on the behind as she passed by.... Oh my heck ,  I think I could not have smiled any bigger....He loves her I thought , he has to love her. I watched them as they got settled in to what seemed to be their morning routine. He took her towel and laid it on the chair , he took her shoes and put them by his.... and then as she waited at the edge of the pool , he walked over and held her hand as she walked down the steps...As I continued to walk , and of course watch this cuteness from a distance.....I decided I wanted to know...I wanted to know, did he really love her like I thought ?  Did she still love him ? Soooooo, curiosity got the best of me :) I got off the treadmill and went out there, not quite knowing what was going to come out of my mouth when I got there. As I walked up to the pool I stood at the edge....I think I caught them off guard , I sat down on the steps of the pool and asked them if I could hear some of their story....And that is exactly what I got. I got a glimpse in to the life of a 94 year old man who loves his 91 year old "sweetheart" as he calls her and a marriage that was 64 YEARS strong.  I was so taken back by the soft sweetness he had towards her , and how she still lit up and smiled when she talked about him.  I loved that while they had different ideas on what made the last 64 years great....they painted the exact same picture on HOW it was done.  He said "It's simple, you just make the choice to love each other , and then never question that choice again." And she said "Do the simple things that will make him happy".  While divorce has been the hardest thing in my life and my 22 years does not hold a candle to their 64 years I am still grateful for the things I have learned , the trails that molded me and the fire that refined me in to who I am.  I want what they have , I want the "Love you to the moon and back" kind of love,  I want to count stars.....And for sure I want a "Once upon a time" that will end up being my "Happily ever after" . Through the ups and downs of it all , the easy and the hard , the good and the bad.....I still know I have been blessed with a "WONDERFUL LIFE".....my life:) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment